Community Based Advocacy & Communications
1999-2005. The International Council of AIDS Service Organisations (ICASO) works to strengthen the community-based response to HIV/AIDS by connecting and representing NGOs throughout the world. Headquartered in Toronto, ICASO serves as the hub for 5 regional secretariats.
Highlights from my six-year affiliation with ICASO, as its chief communications and policy consultant, include:
- backstopping the Executive Director in his role as an architect and leader of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria;
- brainstorming and supporting ICASO’s role as facilitator of civil society’s input to the 2001 UNGASS on HIV/AIDS and its Declaration of Commitment;
- articulating ICASO’s policies and positions in public statements, speeches, media relations, board meetings, and strategic planning exercises;
- designing and supporting the implementation of ICASO’s fundraising and donor relations efforts;
- authoring, editing, and/or overseeing ICASO’s annual reports from 1999 to 2005;
- creating and implementing ICASO’s communications strategies at the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th International AIDS Conferences.
For more about ICASO, visit www.icaso.org.